Sunday, September 30, 2007

NHL's Poor US Presentation Utterly Shocking

I've always wondered why it is that hockey's never caught on in the states. Could it be the complexity of such a fast paced game? Or maybe because most Americans never had a chance to enjoy a backyard skating rink, much less a snowball fight, during the winter months. Now, I think I might have an inkling as to why the league gets such little respect.

It may be just preseason games, but I decided to catch some Sens hockey with the NHL Center Ice Online free preview. Sunday I sat down with my laptop and projector to watch them take on the Capitals, and was treated to the most shocking display of hockey presentation. Growing up on HNIC and more recently being treated to Sens PPV, I've grown accustomed to quality broadcasting, and that might just be the problem.

When the broadcast from the 'official Capitals network' was picked up by NHL CIO, I was treated to the most bizarre of sounds. I got to hear a midly John Goodman-y voice telling the fans in Washington to beware of flying pucks and to check out great deals behind section 101 of the rink, hardly what I or anyone else on this side of the broadcast could give a care about. As the action finally picked up, it took several minutes before commentary begun. Before it begun, I was treated to what I can only say sounded something like a man asleep in the control room being woken up over a walkie talkie and sleepily starting to flip the switches and bring the show together.

Now it was time for some real hockey, right? Only five minutes in and the Caps score. This of course lead to many replays from their official network. Unfortunately for real hockey fans, the replays of this goal and other shots continued, even as play went on. Only when they finished was I treated to a faceoff, suddenly noticing that the score was tied, 1-1. Their replays had blocked out a fine Patrick Eaves goal. It takes a real rookie, in my opinion, to boldly play replays over the real action. Unless perhaps they were trained to do this while covering baseball, where few care if they miss the pitcher digging his rut in the mound and sizing up the batter.

Banter sounds like batter, and once again nothing but disappointment was served up to me. I can admit I'm not 100% confident how to perfectly pronounce anyone's name unless they've said it to me. So maybe when they refered to Nick-you-lynn, that could have been the proper intonation and inflection. Then again, when they called out plays involving Anton Vermette, and couldn't decide whether it was Foh-lee-no or Foh-lig-no, then I start to doubt them. Then when they start telling me how many goals Alfie scored, 2, and how low that is, I recall the hat trick he scored last night, and wonder how little research these people actually do.

During the intermission, we begin hearing the announcer saying Foligno's name over and over again, talking about which goals he's ordering replayed, how long he should run the intermission show for, and telling his partner that his IM isn't working. Eventually he starts talking hockey, and I relax a bit. However, I notice I'm not watching replays, or announcers discussing things and displaying stats.
I'm watching the broadcast of the tv screen in the middle of the Verizon Center, telling me when opening night is and behind what section I can buy Caps branded items. Not only that, but my broadcast has included, during the game, items such as falshing messages I've seen on my camcorder telling me that a video timer is about to begin, a blue screen explaining video recording setup, and the visual displayed on Windows Media Player when sound without video is playing. Even the scoreboard I see on the tv isn't cut properly; the scoreboard is cut on an angle, so I can see the word 'player' above the Ottawa penalties (where you see the player number, but no name since it's cut too short).

Virtually all this happened within the first half of the first period, with only a few other elements coming out during the rest of the game. This is not broadcasting. This is unprofessional Youtube on crack, and apparently the megaphone from which all things Capitals gets broadcasted. This is, without a doubt, a huge reason why I doubt I could ever respect the way American NHL franchises are handled, and why I now give a new respect to Americans who don't support the NHL, if only because they have to put up with crap like this, when all I've really felt cheated by is Bob Cole's tardy play by play. Stand tall and proud Americans, for not putting up with this. Or better yet, become a Sens fan, and get treated right.

3 comments:

Lubbykov said...

hmmm...so you are 100% correct about your observation of the awful NHL media coverage in the US. But wrong about the fans, which, being a "US" hockey fan I take offense.

Hockey has caught on in the states, but fans such as myself pay no attention to the mainstream media who don't want to play it. Instead, I'll tune into the trusty AM dial on the radio. TV media just won't cover hockey because there is not enough Advertising space and not enough commercial slots to sell. It's all about the money. The game is too fast and the breaks in play are always an unknown, especially in playoff time, which is why Hockey should be one of the better sports.

Playoffs last year, they had some local channels and I would watch it. The fans are all going nuts, the stadium loud, players husteling knowing that one play makes a difference. Between periods Basketball was on, and they were also in Playoffs. The stadium was pretty quite, players would sometimes hustel but really didn't as compared to hockey. Basketball can sell advertising, and commercials, so can baseball, football, heck even NASCAR.

Take all the shots you want at "US Media", just not the "US Hockey fans" please. We're on your side.

Lubbykov said...

p.s. Go Blues :-)

BnWnG said...

Glad to hear that there are fans in the US who can appreciate the game. I think that it is the fault of the media and the presentation of the game that so few Americans tune in to the game. The fans who have taken the time to get into the game, I am very glad that they have, and even more glad when they can see the game live, or well presented, so that they can appreciate the sport, and not be turned off of the sport because of the lousy way it gets treated by the broadcasters and media.