Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Blogger's Mandate

A slow day in the Sens/NHL newsworld, I found an interesting thought to ponder nonetheless.

The Sens Army Blog pointed me to a good story by Robert Roman, which made me question what is the purpose and goal of blogging, in particular my own blog. The story speaks of the increasing volume of Sens-related personnel rumours that have appeared this offseason like none before.

For me, I blog because I fully and enthusiastically support the Ottawa Senators. I know I have spent much time trying to sift through Sens news and interesting stories, and my goal here is to compile the interesting stories that are out there, to be a repository of the common but still appreciated media stories, and also to try to point you to other stories of intrigue from smaller sources out there. In addition, I also like to think out loud, and my musings will find their way onto this blog as well.


When it comes to rumours and speculation, I will try to stick to reputable writers, bloggers, and sources. I too have my own sources from within the organization, but they have taught me one thing well, and that is that they too are rarely privileged with secrets, so do not expect to hear me referring to them. In fact, the only 'insider' info I have been able to glean from them of late was that on a certain TSN show of late, a certain question should have been phrased better as "have you ever, period," and that it should have been posed to three certain individuals instead of just one. But to anyone who goes out in the region often enough, this was never secret or surprise news.

My perspective on blogging remains that it should be done to share something with others, be it a voice, a perspective, an opinion, and that is what I will continue to do.

As soon as there is any real or interesting news to report or comment on, rare as that will likely be this month.

No comments: