Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Head Must Shake

Just a short thought. Here is an article from TSN, on the Sedins' upcoming UFA status, and potential new contracts.

Here is my first exhibit, screenshot A:


Here is a quote:
"I think we just need to discuss where they (the Sedins) fit into the marketplace." Barry told the Team 1040. "We need to get into that kind of detail, and we haven't gotten there. We haven't discussed term; we haven't discussed their intention of what kind of term, or ours. So, until we get thru those discussions and term, we probably won't get to the dollar stage."
Wait. Wait just a second...
"So, until we get thru those discussions and term, we probably won't get to the dollar stage."
I know I'm not an arts student, and my application for a posted job, a writing position with the Ottawa Senators, never panned out. But still, does TSN really mean to tell me that "thru" is not only what passes for hockey journalism now, but also the quoting of hockey agents? I mean, it is J.P. Barry, and maybe he doesn't have enough time for full words, what with all the Sundin meetings going on, but still. Not to mention the fact that he's saying this on the Team 1040, and unless it's an email you'd have to be a pretty good psychic to know he really meant to say it 'thru', to be cool and hip like the MSN kids. It's 2am, I just noticed this, and I'm entitled to my belief that I must chuckle that TSN quotes others as having said "thru". Maybe he really did say it in an email, but even when you record a conversation, your transcription's goal is to get the proper intent of the speaker, and I'm pretty sure a professional agent, dealing with players earning millions of dollars, would not want to be quoted as being the guy who said "thru".

Come on, TSN. Come on.

Thus ends my griping for the early morning, goodnight.

No comments: